Thursday, May 13, 2010

10 Things…



I've done a lot of babysitting in my life, way more than your average teen. During this time, I've seen it all. I've worked for families that I love and families that I wouldn't say yes to again. I've been really blessed to work for some amazing families, but there are a few things I wish everyone who hires a babysitter knew. So here it is.


Maybe someone will stumble on this and it will make life easier for one babysitter somewhere in the world! :)



  • If you say you are going to be home at 10:30 calling at 10:15 to ask if you can be about an hour late is the quickest way to scare away a babysitter. You're not my only responsibility, so be home when you say you will.

  • I don't care if your house is a little messy. It makes me feel a little better when the kids have destroyed it 8 seconds after you leave.

  • If you trust me to take care of your kids, then you should trust me to be able to make mac and cheese. I don't really need yet another lesson on how to use a gas stove. (This goes for TV's and DVD players too)

  • I'm used to your kids crying when you leave. Almost all kids do, just don't make it worse by coming and going 10 times before you finally leave.

  • I'm not you. I may not read the bedtime story the same way you do, but it means the same thing.

  • Weekends fill up fast, so don't be surprised if I'm busy when you call same day. The more notice you give me the more likely I am to say yes.

  • I'm going to spoil your kids. I may let them stay up a little later than usual, or give them an extra after dinner treat. And they deserve it too!

  • There's a really good chance your child is going to call me mom. It happens all the time. Don't be offended.

  • If I run into a problem and it seems like something I can handle, 9 times out of 10 I'm going to call my own mom. It's nothing personal, I just don't want to bug you.

  • If your child has something I need to be aware of (i.e.: food allergy, epi pen, etc) tell me about it before you leave, then leave a reminder on the counter with an emergency contact. Most likely I won't need it, but it's nice to have just in case. (Even if your child doesn't have something I need to worry about, an emergency contact is always welcome!)

Corinne, you rock. This isn't meant for you, don't fret. :)

1 comment:

karissa said...

Can I say AMEN to all of those like times 200!?!?! I agree and have had those all :) great post!